Friday, November 13, 2009

Crying is for wimps right?

Today was a good day because I made good food at school, got 100% on my test (AND a gold star), and looked up recipes... But I cried today, ugh. I never cry.

Driving home Avenged Sevenfold came on, and I just started crying. The one thought in my head was Christopher, and how he was a bad-ass. I miss that guy. =[

Other than that, today I made gnocchi BY HAND. Which took me about 2 hours. Just to let you know the process......

You have to boil potatoes, then bake them to dry them out. Then you have to rice the potatoes in a ricer or through a food mill (basically a cheese grater with a hand crank, it takes a long time!). Next you mix in eggs, salt and pepper, nutmeg and flour. Since gnocchi is usually pretty bland tasting I added lots of fresh sage and nutmeg to give it flavor. So then you have to knead out the dough, while adding flour. I then rolled out the dough into logs and portion out 1/6oz dough balls. You use a fork (well coated in flour!) and smash the dough balls on the back side of the fork, and then roll the dough forward and pinch together the ends. Looks kind of like those little green squiggly magic bugs from James and the Giant Peach. =]

Anyway, they took FOREVER. So if you ever want a good idea for a family meal - do that! And have everyone help! But they look really nice, and taste pretty good too. Normally they're served with a pasta sauce that gives them flavor, but as I spent all my time making the damn things - I opted to saute them in butter and melt fresh Parmesan cheese over the top. It looked really fancy! Everyone kept telling me how professional it looked - yay for me! ha ha

I've been working on my notebook for school (a collection of all my recipes), and it's huge. I have so many recipes, because every time I see one in a magazine or book I steal it! Ha ha... all I have to say is that I'd better get a good grade on it because that thing is packed.

Haven't been up to much lately. Going to move to the bakeshop on Monday - YAY! This is the station I've been waiting for. All my cake baking will have paid off, because now I get to sell my cakes instead of eating them!

Going to make a dinner either Sat or Sun night. Making a Caesar salad, homemade sage ravioli with a ricotta-cream cheese filling and tomato sauce, then a cheesecake with pomegranate sauce. Oh yeah this isn't an everyday thing for me, it's Jon's and my anniversary this weekend so I fig I'd make him a nice dinner =].

1 comment:

  1. When I'm crying about thinking about Christopher and something badass comes on (for me, Coheed makes me bawl), I think how funny it was that he really was the biggest sweetheart with a faux-badass exterior. Gentleman always, that's for sure.

    :) Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete